From the history of Zaprice Castle
For the winter hours, we have prepared a rebus from the history of Zaprice Castle, where the Intermunicipal Museum Kamnik has been housed for 60 years.
The museum and its administrative, exhibition and storage premises are housed in Zaprice Castle. The castle lies on a hill above Kamnik, and Kamnik suburbs Šutna and Zaprice. According to the written sources, a court stood at this place in the 14th century, first owned by the knights of Zaprice (the Dienger von Apecz family from Zaprice) and later by the citizens of Kamnik. It is possible that the court had been destroyed in 1511, during a big earthquake, and in 1550 Jurij Lamberg built a new mansion in its place, as it can be seen in Valvasor’s graphic art prints. The castle acquired its present appearance not earlier than the time of late Baroque, in the third quarter of the 18th century, in the time of Anton Medard noble Wiederkehr, who enlarged and decorated it in Baroque style. The castle’s present form has been maintained from the 19th century, when the north-eastern wing entrance was built, bordering the castle’s triangular ground floor, in the same way as the south-western wing.